Customize your transactional email address
Email masking is an effective way to customize outbound communication from your community to the inboxes of your users. For example, see the "send" address:
Email masking is applied to the following transactional emails for users engaging with your network:
- Confirm Email Address | Sent when a user confirms their email address on sign up
- Password Reset | Sent when a user rests their password
- You're In! | Sent when a user is approved by the community admin
CAUTION: This is a LIVE email address, so if people reply to this email, please ensure you have the correct support measures to handle inbound communication
How To Setup Email Masking
Step 1: Add the Custom Domain Add-On
Login to your community using your Community Leader/Admin account and access the Custom Domains section of Control Center.
Note: The Community Leader account is the account we automatically created for you when your community was first started.
- Open the slide-out menu in your community and click the Control Center menu link. This will open Control Center 2.0.
- Click the tab button in the top right of your screen, this will open up the slide-out menu of your Control Center.
- Click Community Settings in your slide-out menu and click Custom Domains
- Click Explore Custom Domain Addons to open the add-on selection menu
- Add the Custom Domains add-on and complete checkout.
Step 2: Add your Custom Email Masking Domain
Navigate back to the Custom Domains section of your Control Center and add the custom email masking domain, then click Save.
After clicking Save, the page will update and list the DNS Settings that you will need to add to your domain's settings with your domain registrar/the service you use to manage your domain.
You will need to add three CNAME records to your DNS settings, with an em#### entry and a s1.domainkey and s2.domainkey entry.
Note: Most customers should remove their domain from the CNAME entries. For example, in this screenshot, I would remove all of the ".qforq.com" portions of the CNAME entries.
You will copy and paste the full "Points To" address into each CNAME entry's "points to" section.
After you have successfully added your domain to Honeycommb and updated your DNS settings, your email masking domain's status will display as Active status on your Custom Domains settings page.
Step 3: Activate your Email Masking Integration
Once successfully added, contact Success@Honeycommb.com and request that our team mark your new email masking integration as Active - this will switch your emails over to your Domain.